I mean, each spread has a story to tell... an experience to share. These stories have happened (for example, I was in a canoeing and happened to canoe right under a low tree filled with spiders) or these stories were made up based on the content (like the ant eating spread - obviously I couldn't hear it crunch on the leaves but that's what it was doing when I was taking the photo - see the image below)

So uh, my question again is: with each of my spreads designed differently, will that make my spreads disconnected from each other? Will it still look "together"?
I hope that makes sense..
Will you always have a full-bleed image and type over the image? If so, they will definitely not be disconnected from one another. Even if you aren't, because your book is about your stories and experiences, it makes sense that every spread be different. Will you have some spreads with a lot of copy on them? From the three you showed, it doesn't look like you will. I definitely see similarities in them.
ReplyDeleteI think you will realize that there are more elements that connect your spreads together than you realize. The images will all be outdoors, and primarily of nature, right? The type will be expressive? Sorry I'm asking you so many questions, but it's a hard question to answer with only seeing 3 spreads.
Good work so far!
You can definitely design your spreads differently but still have them connect well together.
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of having them in no particular order, just as a collection. As long as you have some consistent elements within your spreads and make them look like they came from the same place.
If you have a defined general color scheme that will set the mood for the whole book - for example you are using deep green for one spread, I am assuming you will not use hot pink as another dominant spread color in your book, you know what I mean?
Also, that element could be consistent type throughout the book - will you use hand-drawn type for most of your spreads? I feel like you could definitely use a mixture of hand-drawn and digital, as long as that relationship carries through the book.
Think of small ways or elements that could link your whole book together, and that could be consistent throughout the book.
I think that the three options you have here look really good together. You don't want them to get too similar, I think it looks really cohesive. I agree with Samia that you could mix hand type and digital but I think that you should have some element of each on most of the pages. Like that page with the lillypad drawings would probably look really good with some digital type on it but because they all have handtype somewhere they relate to each other.
ReplyDeleteI think that having handtype on one page, then digital on the next can be tricky but it could work.
I think that because each spread is so different it's consistent. Every spread tells a story using the full page imagery as a background that ties in with the typography. In this way, it's pretty consistent.
ReplyDelete