Friday, May 8, 2009

Some good news

Ahhh! My book was printed and bound today.

I actually changed the size of my book from 8.5x8.5" to 5x7". Though it is significantly smaller, I thought the size was fitting as it has a handheld map quality to it.

I also didn't do white/white cover. I drew out the topographical map of Algonquin Park and by the looks of it, it would have been more than complex to apply a vinyl sticker on the cover due to the tiny islands and levels of relief. Instead, I opted for the topographical map to be on the cover at 75%, which I'm satisfied with.

I did end up going with perfect binding and I am happy I did. The design of my book and cover is very contemporary and fits well as a unified piece. I'll try to take some photos tonight. Although I'm worried that due to the size of my book, people will think it is a book that lacks content or even quality. :( I think my book was nicely designed and it is reflective of my experiences, it's just I've seen books from my peers and they used complex materials and binding - while I stuck to more contemporary forms that suit my book. Or maybe I shouldn't worry. I'm happy with what I did for this class. If there were more time, I would definitely add more content from my trips.

The only thing: I printed one copy...
I'm now afraid to leave this out when I'm not present at my booth because I want this book to be in pristine condition for external assessment. Worse comes to worse, I can print and bind another copy on Tuesday.

I hope everyone else's books are coming along great. I can't wait to see them all!
I'll try to post some photos of my finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment